Sunday 11 August 2013

Cat under the umbrella (melted crayon art)

Today was a little drab. Weather wise. It is still mid August, yet the sun has gone down and the clouds have rolled in. And it's raining. I can never welcome rain during the summer. Never. I've just been so traumatized by the 10 months of rain a year in Vancouver that I don't like it. 
So this is my melting crayon art depicting the life in Vancouver. Despite what I said earlier, the rain is kinda beautiful and calming. And I have an excuse to do nothing and not feel bad if you know what I mean.

This art project wasn't done recently, but I still wanted to share this cool and easy craft that everyone can do. My friend was the one who introduced me to this melting-the-crayon-to-make-art phenomenon, and so I put some thought before I went ahead to do this. The one with a silhouette of a person under crayon rain seemed popular on the internet. I didn't really want to paint a person, so I decided to go with a cat which made more sense to me anyway. 
My final product

I got a pack of 64 crayons from Walmart. I broke the crayon into two or three pieces so there were enough for my canvas, then hot glued it to the top.I got mostly blues, but also some greens and purples which made it look more awesome. I drew the black cat first and then painted the silhouette of it later.
Some people don't like the look of crayons on the canvas and prefer to do another method. Click here to check out the detailed and awesome post; it's my favourite one so far!

before melting and painting 
my cat silhouette

A good tip when using a blow dryer is to keep it at the weakest setting possible so the hot air just melts it, not blow it away. You'll love the texture afterwards!

close up of the melted crayons 



No comments:

Post a Comment